Rights & Responsibilities
You are more than just a person with cancer – you are our patient. We take the time to get to know you and understand your unique situation and special needs. We serve you, not just your condition, and strive to do everything in our power to provide you with the best quality of life possible while seeking cancer treatment.
Patient Bill of Rights
As a Tennessee Cancer Specialists (TCS) patient, I have the right to…
- Full information about my rights and responsibilities as a patient at TCS.
- Be treated with courtesy, dignity and respect of my personal privacy by all employees of TCS.
- Be assisted in a prompt, courteous and responsible manner.
- Receive an explanation of my diagnosis, benefits of treatment, alternatives, recuperation, risks and an explanation of consequences if treatment is not pursued.
- Participate in decision-making regarding his or her care, including sufficient information, except in emergencies, to make an informed decision regarding his or her care.
- Decline treatment, including participation in investigational studies, and withdraw previously given consent. In this event, the patient has the right to be informed of the medical consequences of this action.
- Be free of physical and mental abuse and neglect by all employees of TCS.
- An explanation of all rules, regulations and services provided by TCS, the days and hours of service and provisions for possible emergency care, including telephone numbers.
- Complain or file grievance with TCS Operating Managers or Practice Administrator without fear of retaliation or discrimination.
- Choose the type of medical plan which is best suited to my particular situation and work with the physician
members within my healthcare plan.
- Participate in the development of Plan of Care, including Advance Directives, and to receive my own copies.
- Disclosure of any teaching programs, research or experimental programs in which TCS is participating.
- Full financial explanation and payment schedules prior to beginning treatment.
- Receive expert professional care without discrimination, regardless of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sexual preference, handicap, sex, age or health plan coverage.
- Confidential treatment of my condition, medical records and financial information.
- Access to my personal records and to obtain copies upon written request.
- Assistance and consideration in pain management.
- The protection of my health information as described in TCS’ Notice of Privacy Practices.
As a Tennessee Cancer Specialists patient, I have the responsibility to…
- Disclose accurate and complete information regarding physical condition, hospitalization, medications, allergies, medical history and related items.
- Participate in developing a Plan of Care, Advance Directives, and Living Will.
- Assist in maintaining a safe, peaceful and efficient healthcare environment.
- Be considerate and respectful of all treatment staff.
- Provide new/changed information regarding my health insurance to the business office and to meet my agreed copay during my office visit.
- Contact TCS when unable to keep a scheduled appointment.
- Cooperate in the planned care and treatment developed for me.
- Request more detailed explanations for any aspect of service I do not understand.
- Inform my physicians and nurses of any changes in my condition or any new problems or concerns.
- Communicate any temporary or permanent change in my address or telephone number which might hinder contact by TCS.
- Relate my levels of discomfort and/or pain and perceived changes in my pain management to my physician.
- Inform my physician or nurse when I am going to need a prescription refill before my supply is gone.
- Express opinions, concerns, or complaints regarding his or her health care and rights and responsibilities in a constructive manner to TCS.